Not Quite What I Was Planning




At the end of last quarter, my good friend and classmate Kendall had recommended a book called Not Quite What I Was Planning. The book was influenced by Ernest Hemingway's six-word story "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." I was too poor to buy the book myself, so I did what any self-respecting, starving student would do - I waited until I went over break and had my Mom buy it for me :)

We actually did this exercise in my Copy Techniques class on Thursday night. It was definitely a challenge but I think it got the whole classes brain's churning.

Anyway, this book is great. My personal six favorite six-word memoirs are as follows:

- Made a mess. Cleaned it up. (Amy Anderson)
- Likes everything too much to choose. (Rachel Lindenthal)
- In a Manolo word, I'm Keds. (Colleen Cook)
- Anything's possible with an extension cord. (billySIRR)
- Verbal hemophilia. Why can't I clot? (Scott Mebus)
- Editor. Get it? (Kate Hamill)

Other things that have inspired/held my attention this weekend include:
  • Spring tulips in my room
  • Kent Nerburn's Simple Truths
  • Whole Wheat Apple Muffins (Ok, so I didn't actually make these, but they look amazing and I some day will attempt to make them)
  • Did I mention my beautiful tulips?

0 comments: